The Shasta-Trinity National Forest just put fire restrictions in place that affect all the trails on forest property, including around Mount Shasta.
Here are pertinent details:
Fire officials from the Shasta-Trinity National Forest announced that fire restrictions begin at mid-night August 11, 2010 within the forest except for the Trinity Alps Wilderness.
Fire restrictions include:
* No campfires or charcoal fires except inside established campfire sites. California Campfire Permits are required to build a fire within Forest Service developed recreation sites and designated fire safe sites. A list of designated fire safe sites is available at www.fs.usda.gov/stnf
* Campfires will not be allowed in the Yolla Bolla-Middle Eel, Chanchellula, Castle Crags or Mount Shasta Wildernesses.
* Smoking will be confined to enclosed vehicles or buildings, developed recreation sites and other designated fire-safe sites.
* Use of internal combustion engines is prohibited, except on roads and designated trails. All engines must be equipped with spark-arresting devices.
* Welding or operating acetylene or other torch device with an open flame is prohibited.